Want to plan to visit Sukhna Lake in Chandigarh? Yeah!! Don’t know anything about how to visit, timings, address, etc? In this blog, I am going to include all the important information about this tourist spot in Chandigarh.
Well, the sukhna lake is not a natural lake but a man-made lake intentionally made to attract more tourists and locals. The meaning of SUKHNA is “Requesting for wish fulfillment”. It is the location that attracts many people and gives an exquisite view of the area as it is exactly located in the foothills of Shivalik hills.
Sukhna Lake History
There are many different types of questions that people ask when visiting here. Some of them are, how Sukhna lake formed, or what is the depth of the sukhna lake and much more.
Well, it was formed in the year 1958 by damming a monsoonal stream. In 1974, it was designed to make it a Sukhna Reservoir that acts as a lake and bestows a lovely place to spend time for numerous people. Le Corbusier, the architect of Chandigarh and Chief Engineer P.L. Verma are the two who are responsible for designing this lake.
The actual depth of Sukhna Lake Chandigarh is 16 feet or around 4.9 m and is spread over an area of three sq.km.
Timings to Visit Sukhna Lake Chandigarh
It is accessible 365 days a year. The entry timings to visit the place is 5 in the morning till 9 in the night. If you just want to cover the whole track of the lake on foot then it may take around 3 hours. It is one of the best places for picnics, school trips, college trips and regular outings.
- Looking for eating stuff at the lake? Sukhna lake Chandigarh has a lot of different food kiosks on the lake premises. So, you can easily enjoy the delicious food cuisines.
Sukhna Lake Chandigarh Entry Fee
The entry fee to visit Sukhna Lake is zero. Yes, you need not pay the charges to enjoy the trip. However, if you want to enjoy boating in the lake then you need to pay extra for that.
Boating Ticket Price At Sukhna Lake Chandigarh
Everyone wants to enjoy boating in different types of boats. Choose the type of boat as per your budget or choice. Some of the charges of different boats are given as below-
- Charges for Paddle Boat –
Rs 200 for 2 people however, you need to deposit a security fee of Rs 200 which is refundable
Rs 400 for 4 people where you need to deposit Rs 400/- as a refundable security fee
- Charges for Cruise Boat Ticket –
Rs 300 per person for half an hour.
- Luxury Boat Ticket Price –
Rs 400 per person.
- Solar Boat Ticket Price –
Rs 300 per person.
* Note- The charges written for boating are for half an hour duration. Moreover, it can be changed without prior notification.
Sukhna Lake Chandigarh Address
Well, the exact location of the sukhna lake in Chandigarh is Sector 1 near Rock Garden. There is ample space for parking. So, if you are coming in your vehicle, then you can easily park it in the parking lot which is secured. Chandigarh Golf Club is also just beside the lake. People having membership can enjoy the activities inside the golf club. If you are looking for sukhna lake club Chandigarh membership then, you can choose as per your requirements. As there are three types of memberships such as-
- Regular Membership
- Trial Membership
- Associate Membership
Some of the activities that the members of the lake club can enjoy are gym, open lawns, golf clubs, indoor games, tennis courts, swimming pools and many more.
How to Reach Sukhna Lake Chandigarh?
Well, it is very easy to reach Sukhna Lake Chandigarh as the location is favorable for everyone. Due to the strong network of the trains, flights, local buses, auto, cabs, etc. One can reach from any corner of the city. Some of the detailed ways to reach the lake of Chandigarh is as follows-
- Public Bus Transportation– There are two main bus stands nearby, they are ISBT 17 (Chandigarh), ISBT 43 (Mohali), through which one can easily reach this destination. All you need to do is to inquire at HELP DESK at bus stands.
- Train – If I talk exactly about the Chandigarh railway station then it works as a junction between, Himachal Pradesh, Punjab, Haryana, Delhi. So, you can reach a railway station of any state then can book a cab or take a public bus too to reach Sukhna lake Chandigarh. The total distance between the Chandigarh railway station and the lake is around 5.7km which takes around 15-20 min to reach.
- Via Cab/Taxi – It is the most convenient way to compute especially in this tech-savvy world. Some of the common can services provided are Uber, Ola, and many more. All you need to do is to download the application on your smartphone and search the exact location by activating your current location to book a taxi.
- By Air – Now, this has connectivity with the International Airport. So, the foreign tourists can also reach the place easily. The airport too has a bus as well as a cab facility through which one can reach Sukhna Lake in Chandigarh.
Find this blog useful? Wanna know something new? Be it anything, just share your experience with us. We would love to know it.